Editor’s observe: This can be a recurring submit, often up to date with new info.
Even in the event you aren’t on the West coast or do not reside close to an Alaska Airways hub, you may nonetheless get a ton of worth from the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan program. Certain, you need to use Alaska miles for flights on Alaska Airways, however the true sweet spots of the Alaska Mileage Plan program lie in its broad collection of companions.
Alaska Airways miles aren’t as simple to earn as different applications since Marriott Bonvoy is the one main transferrable foreign money you may switch into this system. Nevertheless, there are nonetheless a number of choices if you wish to earn Alaska Mileage Plan miles on your subsequent redemption.
This is what it is advisable to find out about incomes and redeeming with Alaska Mileage Plan companions.
Alaska Mileage Plan airline companions
You may redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles on Oneworld companion airways, together with Oneworld join airline Fiji Airways. Particularly, listed here are Alaska’s Oneworld companions:
- American Airways.
- British Airways.
- Cathay Pacific.
- Fiji Airways (a Oneworld join airline).
- Japan Airways.
- Malaysia Airways.
- Qatar Airways.
- Royal Air Maroc.
- Royal Jordanian.
- SriLankan Airways.
Alaska additionally has a number of non-Oneworld airline companions. Whereas redemptions aren’t out there on all of them, Alaska’s non-Oneworld airline companions embrace:
Alaska Mileage Plan award charts
Till the ultimate days of 2022, Alaska Mileage Plan provided award charts on its web site for every of its companion airways. However now, you may solely discover three award charts on Alaska’s website: a North American award chart, a Cash and Miles award chart for Alaska fights and a world award chart.
Join our each day publication
This is the North American award chart:
This is the Cash and Miles award chart:
And here is the worldwide award chart:
These award charts solely present beginning charges for award flights on Alaska Mileage Plan companions. And the observe on the backside of the worldwide award chart states you may want to go looking utilizing your origin, vacation spot and dates to view pricing for awards to and from factors outdoors the U.S. and Canada.
Since redemptions aren’t out there on all companions and Alaska’s agreements with some companions do not permit for redemptions on all routes, you may have to seek for your required award on Alaska’s web site to know whether or not it is out there (and in that case, how a lot it should price).
Redeeming Alaska miles for a companion award flight
To seek for award availability and pricing, go to the Alaska Airways web site, log in to your Mileage Plan account and choose the “Use miles” field earlier than looking.
You too can examine the “Award calendar” field earlier than looking for an award to see a calendar view. Then you may choose the award sort.
The calendar view is especially useful when you’ve got a versatile journey schedule and are on the lookout for less-expensive companions. For instance, take into account these one-way business-class companion awards from New York to Hong Kong:
You can redeem 120,000 Alaska miles plus $26 per particular person for a mixed-cabin award on Korean Air. Or you could possibly redeem 100,000 Alaska miles plus $25 for a business-class award on Singapore Airways. However you could possibly additionally redeem simply 50,000 Alaska miles plus $19 for a business-class award on Cathay Pacific.
Listed here are some issues to know if you wish to redeem Alaska miles on companions:
- Itineraries that embrace a number of companion award segments incur a $12.50 nonrefundable payment per particular person, per approach.
- You may’t guide a stopover on awards inside worldwide areas (resembling intra-Asia or intra-Europe).
- In case your origin and vacation spot are outdoors the U.S. and Canada, you have to guide no less than 72 hours earlier than departure.
- Alaska Mileage Plan awards for choose companions, together with British Airways, Hainan Airways and Icelandair, face a excessive carrier-imposed cost.
- You may’t use Alaska miles to book a Ravn Alaska award between Fairbanks and Anchorage.
- In the event you redeem Alaska miles for a one-way Korean Air award, you may pay the identical quantity of miles as in the event you booked a round-trip award.
- For worldwide companion award bookings, lap infants might not be accepted. Alaska’s web site recommends reserving a seat at the usual mileage fee for infants on these flights.
Moreover, bear in mind that you may’t combine companion airways. Specifically, all award tickets should be operated by a single companion. That stated, you may add Alaska Airways flights to a companion itinerary.
Alaska’s removing of partner-specific award charts could also be a precursor to eradicating among the greatest companion candy spots. Nevertheless, no less than for now, we’re nonetheless seeing lots of our favourite Alaska Mileage Plan sweet spots.
Among the finest makes use of of Alaska miles is to guide enterprise or firstclass awards on Cathay Pacific. Earlier than Alaska removed its Cathay Pacific award chart, we knew one-way awards on Cathay Pacific from the U.S. to Asia had been 50,000 miles in enterprise class and 70,000 miles in firstclass. Now, all of the Alaska Mileage Plan worldwide award chart tells us is that one-way companion awards from the U.S. to Asia begin at 50,000 miles in enterprise class and 70,000 miles in firstclass.
Whereas updating this story, we discovered no first-class award availability on Cathay Pacific between the U.S. and Hong Kong. So we won’t affirm these awards are nonetheless bookable for 70,000 Alaska miles every approach. However we did discover one-way enterprise class awards on Cathay Pacific bookable for 50,000 miles plus minimal taxes and costs.
You too can tack on a cease in Hong Kong totally free earlier than persevering with some place else in Asia (like Bali) for a similar miles as ending your journey in Hong Kong.
Alaska Mileage Plan miles will also be a good way to get to Fiji. Earlier than Alaska eliminated its Fiji Airways award chart, we knew one-way awards on Fiji Airways between the U.S. (Los Angeles and San Francisco) and Nadi, Fiji, price 40,000 miles in financial system or 55,000 miles in enterprise class. And fortunately, we’re nonetheless seeing this pricing:
In the event you’re contemplating reserving, know you may add a stopover in Fiji after which proceed to Australia for a similar quantity of miles.
Different companion redemptions with Alaska Mileage Plan
Moreover award flights, there are different methods to redeem Alaska miles. This is a fast overview of among the non-airline companions with whom you may redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles:
- Alaska Airlines Hotels: You may redeem Alaska miles for resort stays while you guide via the Alaska Airways Motels portal. You may redeem fewer miles for stays when you’ve got an Alaska Airways bank card.
- Transfer miles to someone else: You may switch miles to a different Alaska Mileage Plan member at a fee of $10 per 1,000 miles.
- Donate your miles: You may donate your miles to a collection of charities via Alaska’s CARE Miles program.
- Redeem miles for magazines: You may redeem miles for journal subscriptions via MagsForMiles.
- Alaska Airlines Extras: You may redeem miles for experiences, reveals, sporting occasions and extra via Alaska Airways Extras.
Nevertheless, earlier than you redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles with these companions, take into account whether or not doing so will present good worth. For instance, paying to switch your Alaska miles to another person probably will not present good worth. However, redeeming miles for tickets to a sporting occasion via Alaska Airways Extras may present good worth in some instances.
Incomes with Alaska Mileage Plan companions
To benefit from Alaska’s companion redemptions, you want Alaska miles. You may, in fact, earn miles while you fly with Alaska Airways. However here is the best way to earn Alaska miles with Mileage Plan companions.
Fly with companion airways
As talked about above, you may earn miles while you fly with Alaska Airways. However you too can earn Alaska miles on most flights operated or marketed by Alaska’s companions.
Incomes charges fluctuate by airline and fare class — and never all fares earn Alaska miles. To see how your flight will earn in the event you credit score it to Alaska Mileage Plan, go to Alaska’s partner airline page, click on on the airline that bought your flight and take a look at the incomes desk.
For instance, here is the incomes desk for flights marketed by American Airways and operated by both American or one other Oneworld airline:
In the event you’re booked right into a fare class not listed above, you will not earn any miles in the event you credit score your flight to Alaska.
Get an Alaska Airways bank card
A straightforward technique to earn Alaska miles is so as to add an Alaska Airways bank card to your pockets.
You can sign-up for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card, which at present affords a sign-up bonus of fifty,000 bonus miles plus Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and costs from $22) when you make $2,000 or extra in purchases inside the first 90 days of opening your account.
Or you could possibly sign-up for the Alaska Airlines Visa® Business card, which at present affords a sign-up bonus of 40,000 bonus miles plus Alaska’s Well-known Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and costs from $22) when you make $2,000 or extra in purchases inside the first 90 days of opening your account.
With each Alaska bank cards, you may earn 3 miles per greenback spent on eligible Alaska Airways purchases and 1 mile per greenback spent on all different purchases.
Switch Marriott factors to Alaska
The Alaska Mileage Plan program can be a Marriott Bonvoy transfer partner. For each 3 Marriott factors you switch, you may get 1 Alaska mile. Plus, you may get a 5,000-mile bonus for each 60,000 factors you switch. Nevertheless, Marriott transfers may take four days to reach in your Alaska account.
Alaska Mileage Plan resort companions
If you wish to earn Alaska miles in your resort stays, you may guide via Alaska Airlines Hotels to earn as much as 10,000 miles per evening. Or, you could possibly guide straight with the next manufacturers and set your incomes choice to Alaska Mileage Plan miles:
- Finest Western Motels and Resorts: Earn 250 miles per keep on qualifying charges.
- Marriott Bonvoy: Earn 2 miles per greenback spent on all qualifying costs or 1 mile per greenback spent on the room fee (relying on the resort).
- Selection Motels: Earn 250 miles per eligible keep at taking part inns.
- Rocketmiles: Earn 500 to 10,000 miles per evening.
- Coast Motels: Earn 250 miles per keep on qualifying charges.
- Westmark Motels: Earn 2 miles per greenback spent on room lodging at a professional fee.
- InterContinental Motels Group: Earn as much as 2 miles per greenback spent on eligible costs or 500 miles per qualifying keep (relying on the resort).
Earlier than you earn Alaska miles in your resort keep, take into account whether or not you’d earn extra useful rewards via the resort’s loyalty program. For instance, I would quite earn Marriott Bonvoy or IHG One Rewards factors after I stick with inns in these applications.
Alaska Mileage Plan automotive rental and rides companions
If you wish to earn Alaska miles on automotive leases, you could possibly guide your rental via Alaska Airlines Car Rental and earn 50 miles per rental day on most leases. Or, you may choose to earn Alaska miles on automotive leases and rides with the next Mileage Plan companions:
- Lyft: Link your Alaska Mileage Plan and Lyft accounts to earn 1 mile per greenback spent on Lyft rides.
- Avis and Budget: Earn 50 miles per rental day on leases of 1 to 4 days or 500 miles on leases of 5 days or extra.
- Dollar and Thrifty: You may sometimes earn 50 miles per rental day. However via June 30, 2023, you may earn 150 miles per rental day on leases of three days or longer.
- Hertz: You may sometimes earn 50 miles per rental day on leases of 1 to 4 days or 500 miles per rental on leases of 5 or extra days. Nevertheless, via June 30, 2023, you may earn 4 instances the miles.
- Alamo and National: Earn 50 miles per rental day.
Earlier than you decide to earn Alaska miles in your automotive rental, learn the linked companion web page. Some companions require you to guide your automotive rental utilizing a particular code or exclude some rental places. And a few companions solely present miles for leases in choose international locations.
Different Alaska Mileage Plan companions
Lastly, a number of different Alaska Mileage Plan companions allow you to earn Alaska miles in your purchases. This is a have a look at a few of these companions:
- Mileage Plan Dining: Earn miles while you use an enrolled card to pay at taking part eating places, bars and golf equipment.
- Mileage Plan Shopping: Earn miles while you click on via the Alaska purchasing portal to a taking part service provider and make an eligible buy.
- CuisesOnly: Earn 1 mile per greenback spent (as much as 10,000 Mileage Plan miles) while you guide a cruise.
- 1-800-Flowers.com: Earn 20 miles per greenback spent when utilizing promo code AKA3.
- Carrs/Safeway stores in the state of Alaska: Earn 1 level per greenback spent on groceries and a pair of factors per greenback spent on present playing cards. When you earn 100 factors, you get a reward you may clip for 100 Mileage Plan miles.
Many extra area of interest Alaska Mileage Plan companions allow you to earn miles on on a regular basis purchases. Try Alaska’s Everyday partners page for extra particulars.
Alaska Mileage Plan has some extraordinarily useful companions. Specifically, this system’s airline companions supply some extraordinarily useful redemption choices.
There are many choices to earn Alaska miles with companions, together with automotive leases, eating and purchasing. That stated, the simplest methods to earn Alaska miles are with cobranded bank cards just like the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card or by transferring factors from Marriott Bonvoy.
Extra reporting by Benji Stawski and Victoria M. Walker.